Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Peering into the Past































My writing demonstrates appropriate ideas and content in several ways. In the Alchemist essay, my writing made sense consistently. I had a clear and focused topic, and I appeared to know the topic well. Included relevant supporting details, and did not stray far from the main topic at hand. At the beginning, I had a good quote and a thesis with a good choice of traits. I also had accurate background information. In my Julius Caesar essay, my focus on the top was clear and definite. My claims were clear and thoroughly supported. I used better context for the quotes than I had in the Alchemist, and thus better developed understanding of the quote. My quotes and evidence were also significant. I had thoughtful interpretations that were enhanced by the use of good vocabulary.
I could improve my writing to better express my ideas and content by further explaining how my quotations relate to the main idea of the paragraph. In my alchemist essay, I made several statements that I could have elaborated on. Such as when I didn’t say how Santiago’s commitment to his sheep facilitated his learning of the Language of the world, and what he learned from his experience of speaking with the desert. I also used an example that technically had already been used. In my Julius Caesar essay, I stated the Cassius was a conniving weasel, but the reader may have not essentially known that. I used patriotism as my second motivating factor, and this was not a very strong trait, a better one would have been ambition.

My writing demonstrates appropriate organization. In my Alchemist essay, I had accurate choices of background knowledge in the beginning, and made my thesis clear. My topic was always evident, and I had god set-ups for my quotes. My conclusion wrapped things up. The overall structure helped to process ideas. In my Julius Caesar essay, my thesis was also clear and I had effective topic sentences. I set up the context for my quotes clearly. I linked my ideas effectively with transitions, and my sequencing and pacing was accurate.
I could demonstrate superior organization in certain areas of my writing. In The Alchemist essay, my transitions were often formulaic, and I broke down the ideas in my paragraph by saying firstly and secondly. In my Julius Caesar essay, my ending was slightly cliché and my wording got mixed up in places.

I note a significant improvement between my Alchemist essay and my Julius Caesar essay. I had more thoughtful interpretations; better lead-ins, more thorough explanations and clearer transitions that were less formulaic. I felt I improved significantly in both Ideas and Content, and Organization. Looking back, I see how far I have come as a writer and look forward with hope to further develop my writing skills.

An SLR I accessed while crafting these essays was Reason Critically. I had to reason critically to find relevant character traits that would give me opportunity to elaborate on. I had to reason to formulate the organization of my paragraph, and think out how I would lay my essay out and pace to it to enhance the reader’s understanding. I had to find several quotes and reason critically to pick ones that would allow me to support the characteristic I was writing about.

No comments:

Post a Comment